Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pear


Pear, 28x32 in., acrylic and mixed media, 2008

This painting is composed with acrylic paint and collage. I used the lines of the text from the collage to build the pear figure. Acrylic paint to a new adjustment for me right now and I have been using a lot of string gel which is a thick, puffy paint like substance that gives the acrylic paint for body and transparency. It is a great stepping stone.


Process pictures are a fantastic way to keep track of how my work is evolving and to learn from my process. More often than not I like the painting most somewhere in the process part opposed to the final product. I like the rawness of the process, its more honest. In the end I did not do a great job of embracing the under-painting/collaging. I think that is part of my adjustment back to acrylic. I am used to being able to beat down the oil paint, it is much more flexible. Acrylic kind of sticks and stays. Each piece is a learning process.


Here are a couple of close up shots so that you can appreciate the details. The close up on the left gives you a view of the collage
pages. You can see the text lines embracing the contour of the pear. Sometimes collage is the only piece in a painting that saves it technically, in regards to form.


To the right shot gives a detail of the stem. I used a purple floral print for the collage part. The string gel is pretty this in this part giving it some texture.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I like it. Especially the final colors. kdiddy

Katie said...

Are you going to put this one on etsy?

julie said...

mercy! i LOVE the new background color. the thicker blue/purple makes me feel like i can taste the pear. (donno why...)