Wednesday, February 20, 2008

You Name It I

You Name It I, 8x8 in., canvas and mixed media

With this piece I am announcing a sub-project to go along with some of my more kitschy collage pieces I have started working on. Each piece has specific meanings to be because I composed them. Some are very directed and others are more ambiguous. Point being, each piece will have a different meaning to each viewer. I want the audience to name the pieces. For the final title, I will either randomly draw from a collection of titles or I will choose my favorite. I would love ideas to be posted on the blog! I would also like to plan a preview party for the first time these pieces are exhibited. This is a plan just beginning to form so bare with me as I test it out. The idea spurred from Anne mentioning another artist doing title parties, so I cannot take credit for the original idea. If I can find her I will link her. So, be my guest, try a title!


This collage I put together during one of the first night at my LillStreet class. I concocted it from a book about a little boy going to the zoo and seeing dinosaurs. I am pulling in my work with the female figure, some of that work I will post soon. At first the raw canvas behind the collage really bothered me but I think adding anything might take away from the simplicity of the composition.


Some of my favorite highlights from this piece: 1) The figure is composed of a stone sidewalk. 2) The bird in the upper right corner. 3)The headless but not figure.

Name it!

6 comments:

Katie said...

Is it really eight inches square?

Kate Korroch said...

yes :)

Bob said...

"Hippo"

Jace Mace said...

Wow Kate. I am enamoured with this one. I will try to think of a name post haste.

Kate Korroch said...

Ha, I like your title Daddy!

Jason, make haste slowly (but soon). :)

America SCORES Chicago said...

See, i always just assume that my nopet is going to be allowed to go in anywhere because my nopet is so well behaved. But it is nice of the zoo to reassure me
-wb