Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Scrambled Egghead and other sketches

I have not made a ton of new art lately so in this post I would like to share some of my favorite images from my sketch/journal that I had going before I started painting again. I forced myself to draw my feelings and what I was thinking about as I was writing about them. Each page had to have a visual element. If I was in a long, scribbling rant I had to pause and draw what I was feeling. This journal lived my discovery that heartache and loneliness actually hurts, thesis stress is much more fun than bill/rent stress, and its really challenging to make money doing what makes you happy. Drawing from my mind is very difficult for me so this was a great exercise. This journal is a visual mark of my transition into adulthood--a transition that I am realizing never ends.

I am embracing it now. No more wallowing, I promise.


Scrambled Egghead

I came up with this image as I was trying desperately to describe to my dear friend Marty how I was feeling. The words that came out were scrambled egghead. The scrambled feeling was not as fluid as raw eggs so they were scrambled hard-boiled eggs. My mind going everywhere but in a stiff, not fun way.


Fingers Unfurling

The next image is from a poem I wrote a long time ago. Blue balloons have been an important visual symbol for me sense my childhood. Oh, how gracefully they float away from clenched fists.


Vita Cane

Lastly this image shows different stop on my L-train of life. The one I chose in this image is a scary maze! The other choices are what you actually see from the L (above) and cobble stone (bellow). The cobblestone represents my time in Italy, the most peaceful, healthy, and creative time in my life (so far). I plan to get more of that time be it in Italy, another new place or in my back yard. This sketch actually got a name, “Vita Cane” which is “Dog Street” (a reference to the main street in Williamsburg said in Italian).

Well, there you have a quick peak of my journaling mind.

Marty, who I mentioned above has a fantastic wine and food blog that he has started posting on more frequently. Click Marty.

Also, another close friend of mine, Casey, just started posting some of her images she has been working on! Click Casey.


4 comments:

Katie said...

You are incredible. I'm proud to know you.

Bob said...

My experience has taught me two things that your sharing bring to mind today: (1) Feel your feelings, accept and appreciate them, but don't let them dictate your choices; (2) don't exhaust yourself trying to unscramble the eggs in your head--trust a higher power to choose how and when to do that (and it will). Love you!

casey! said...

this is so cool, kate!
you have a wonderful heart and mind, thanks for sharing yourself so fully.

and thanks for the link!

love you!

m said...

i really like vita cane. is that the L in williamsburg nyc?

i am good, having fun here in the city. how are YOU? it's exciting to see you pursuing all this art!