Friday, March 7, 2008

You Name It IV

You Name It IV, 16 x 7 1/2 in., acrylic and mixed media on board

This piece I created a few months ago. My plan was to keep adding into it but I kind of like where I stopped working. It was partially inspired by You Name It I, I was on a collage kick and this was part of the result. I am still on the collage kick. I started with just the the boy and girl pieces. Those collage pieces are from a stereo type embracing coloring book I found at an antique store. I tried to integrate the pieces enough so that the paper to board edges were not to in your face.

Detail 1

I used a lot of sting gel for the red layer of paint just to keep the translucent effect going. A nice way to integrate the collage stuff.


Detail 2


Detail 3

I added the to bring the two sides together. The elephants untie the boy and girl across the board. Visually. Subject matter?

Detail 4

The Brevarian boy's dog and the elephant's hind side.

Okay, so my intention in this was to mock the coloring book. Stick the two stereotypes together. I ended up visually unifying them with elephants in a compromising position. Red, in the middle of the elephant's chest in the middle of the painting right between the the boy and girl.

What do you think?

- - - -

THANK YOU to everyone who has signed up. I have almost reached my 20 person goal! Keep spreading the word! I think I need 7 more. Your interaction with this blog will keep me excited! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 comments:

Bob said...

Ellie Phunt! Don't eat them blueberry pancakes.

casey! said...

i love the pinky red color wash.

and i LOVE elephants!

and you!